Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Black Sheep Cafe

We decided to go to Black Sheep Cafe today for our blog.  We had two visitors with us, Adam and James.  So, a full table of five adults and one child.  Looking over the menu was difficult, not because it was huge, but because everything sounded delicious.  What was nice was there were options for those who do not eat meat and for those that eat meat.  Although, there was no mutton, so we were a bit sad.  We kind of expected to find something with mutton of some sort.  But, we ordered a few different things to represent this restaurant.


My first thought going to a restaurant that is said to have Native American food is thinking of Navajo Tacos.  Which BSC had four options, all of which were ordered and tried.  So, who ordered what?  James ordered the Black Sheep Navajo Taco.  Adam ordered the "Goat" Burger.  Cheri got the Navajo Taco Trio.  Melody ordered the special Pulled Pork Navajo Taco.  Mahayla got to taste everything we got, plus had a Honey-Butter Frybread and Grilled Squash.  I ordered the Green Chile Pork Navajo Taco extra spicy.  
 James with his Black Sheep NT.
 My Green Chile Pork NT.
 Melody's Pulled Pork with Jalapeno coleslaw NT.
 Cheri's NT Trio.
Mahayla's Honey-Butter Frybread! Half gone. Hehe


Pros
The Green Chile Pork NT was delicious.  The balance of spice and flavor was amazing.  Each bite had sizzle, but still wasn't just straight heat.  Cheri also tried the Green Chile Pork NT and loved it.  The Honey-Butter Frybread was amazing.  Mahayla ate most of it and we finished it off among the rest of us.  Adam said that his "Goat" Burger was, "Stone cold bumping."  Which according to Adam, Hip Hop culture says that is amazing.  Melody loved the Pulled Pork and said that she could see why it was the special.  James said that his Black Sheep NT was delicious and full of flavor.  The best part of everything was the Navajo Frybread.  The frybread was by far the best we have ever had.  This really made the meal that much more delicious.  


Cons
As was mentioned, Adam felt that there should have been mutton on the menu somewhere.  Which we were told eventually there would be.  Also, the Red Chile Beef NT seemed to lack a certain something.  It tasted fine, just didn't have that little boost to make it amazing.  The Black Sheep NT from the Trio had beans that were a bit undercooked, but not horrible.  The Black Sheep NT from the Trio also lacked a bit of that boost as well.  It tasted very plain.  Nothing that sparked anything in any of us.  It also lacked a bit of flavor and just seemed plain.  The beans on Melody's NT were as well undercooked.  The Grilled Squash was actually zucchini.  I know that zucchini technically is squash, but if I wanted grilled zucchini, I would have ordered grilled zucchini. Cheri mentioned, "For Native American food, it seems like everything played off the frybread.  I would like to see a Buffalo burger, instead of just variations of the navajo taco. I'd rather have my ass burned off like it was last week (see Spice Grill), than have my ass fall asleep like it did last night."


So, overall, the experience wasn't horrible.  The service was good.  The atmosphere was nice and relaxing.  I liked that they also had a small shop attached to the restaurant to purchase little gifts.  Just so you know, the prices range from 10-15$ for entrees and you leave full.  So, the bang for you buck is pretty good.  However, I have a large issue.  I feel like we showed up on a day that someone had called in or something like that.  We just felt like there was something missing and I would hate to give a horrible review to a restaurant that is missing a key element on the day that I go in.  However, I feel that restaurants shouldn't have that much of a difference from day to day.  If someone calls in, it shouldn't really affect the whole place.  Also, I feel that there was tons of hype built up about BSC.  I think this may have made my judgement a bit harsh because I was expecting this 5 Star Restaurant quality in Provo, Utah.  I would love to go back and see if this happens again.  So, I will plan to do a redemption one of these weeks to see how things are going.
Also, we are introducing a rating scale, we call it "The Fork Scale".  This scale is from 1-5, where 1 is horrible and 5 is amazing.
I give BCS 3.5 Forks
Melody gives BCS 2.5 Forks
Cheri gives BCS 2 Forks


As far as next weeks travels, we are going to go to Wild Ginger on University Ave. in Provo.  It is an all you can eat Sushi restaurant, and we love sushi so, we have high hopes. 


Black Sheep Cafe Facebook

3 comments:

  1. Awesome. I'd never heard of this place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said, it wasn't horrible. And I feel like we just go there on a bad night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul:
    We are trying to find new restaurants that are little gems in the making. Black Sheep Cafe is relatively new - it's just up the street from the old Los Hermanos.

    ReplyDelete